ABOUT ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE (EPC)
Energy Performance Certificate abbreviated as EPC is necessary for any house, which sells, rents, or new builds in the United Kingdom. The purpose of the certificate is to depict how it is possible to bring an improvement in the overall energy efficiency. It gives information in terms of what are the carbon dioxide emission and the cost of heat and light for the building.
From the date of its issuance, EPC is valid for 10 years. An EPC rating as band A is the most efficient whereas band G is the least efficient. The home gets a numerical score of 1-100 Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) points. The SAP is a standard procedure by the government and usually, the score points are divided into the bands A-G.
These scores are divided into bands as follows:
- EPC rating A = 92-100 SAP points (most efficient)
- EPC rating B = 81-91 SAP points
- EPC rating C = 69-80 SAP points
- EPC rating D = 55-68 SAP points
- EPC rating E = 39-54 SAP points
- EPC rating F = 21-38 SAP points
- EPC rating G = 1-20 SAP points (least efficient)
QUICK WAYS TO IMPROVE EPC RATING
In order to improve the EPC rating, the following points are vital:
- The insulation in the loft should be 270 mm thick. You should consider replacing it, as it is likely to provide better energy efficiency.
- Insulate the cavity walls in the house, as there are chances of saving greater energy bills by this process.
- Energy efficient bulbs can save £70 per bulb throughout its lifespan. Do not use the traditional ones.
- In order to boost the energy efficiency, look into whether it would benefit you to replace the boiler.
- A secondary heating source that is eco-friendly can attract potential home buyers. They also have a high score on EPC ratings.
- Solar panels on the roof can assist in generating energy so ask an expert about instaling them on the roof.
- Making a house draught proof can make it more efficient and warmer.
- Modern double-glazing is likely to add value to the house, which is why it is advisable to install it as well.
HOW TO IMPROVE COMMERCIAL EPC RATING
Given below are some of the tips to improve the commercial EPC rating:
- Lighting has to be energy efficient. Your business will, therefore, benefit if you optimize lighting. In case of large properties, a full lighting design can be a money saving option.
- An efficient heating system can create a huge impact on the bills. It is important to select the AC and heaters with care.
- Installing a hot water heater can also be a great idea. If there is no water heater in a property, it is likely to perform poorly.
- In order to boost the energy efficiency ratings, it is a good idea to insulate the walls. Adding internal insulation can play a vital role and if there are wall cavities, it is an indication of no insulation.
- Adding basic insulation to the roof in commercial property can also boost the energy efficiency.
- Cutting on the lighting costs can also boost the EPC rating.
- The heating controls are another energy-saving option. Installing thermostatic controls in the property can be wise as well.
- Energy renewables can be great for the business as well such as installing a solar panel, CHP, and biomass.
- In order to be more professional, provide the documentation. It is the key to boost the rating. All the relevant improvements should have the documentation.
- An assessor can provide information on the improvement options. The final rating can thus be maximized by the end of the week. It is wise to work out on the options, which are cost effective.
EPC F OR G MEANING FOR LANDLORDS
In order to rent out a property, which rates as F or G, it is important to carry out the essential requirements to improve the EPC rating. The rating should at least be E before renting out the property. However, there is an exemption if the property owner qualifies under Public Exemptions Register.
The following points are important:
- A new assured tenancy is granted by you and this includes a short hold as well.
- An existing assured tenancy is renewed or extended by you, which includes a short hold. This is in agreement with the tenant. This is possible when the tenant gets the fresh tenancy to the very same tenant or you agree with the tenant that existing tenancy will be extended.
- Following the fixed term assured tenancy, whether it is shorthold or not, a statutory periodic tenancy can come into existence. There is a new tenancy then imposed on parties and at this point, the tenant is staying even when the fixed term is finished.
- There would be a new assured tenancy, mainly by succession and it happens when a family member takes over the Rent Act protected tenancy.
- The Rent Act protected tenant gets a new tenancy from the same property owner.
- A similar tenancy or agricultural tenancy is renewed, extended, or granted.
HOW IS AN EPC RATING CALCULATED?
In order to calculate the EPC rating, Energy Use considering per square meter of floor area, Energy Efficiency based on fuel costs, and the Environmental Impact on the basis of Carbon Dioxide emission are taken into account.
The room heating current average cost, lighting and hot water heating in a property, energy efficiency measures on cutting costs are important for EPC. The set industry conventions are used for calculating the running costs.
In order to improve the rating, there are recommendations for the cost-effective actions. EPC rating provides an inside look in order to make the house more cost-efficient.
In the UK, Domestic Energy Assessors, provide the valid ratings for EPC. An EPC rating depicts how valuable a house is.
BEST WAY TO IMPROVE EPC RATING
From April 1, 2018, it is unlawful to rent a property, which does not meet the minimum standards, which is E.
In order to improve EPC ratings, installation is important as discussed previously. There are different types of insulations and materials; however, spray foam insulation is the best because of the several reasons:
- Spray foam is useful for the windows as well.
- Closed spray foam has the highest R-value, measuring 7-inches.
- It is possible to seal all the nooks and crannies in the house using the spray foam.
- It is possible to reduce the energy bills by 50% by using the spray foams.
- Spray foam provides an airtight sealing to all the cracks.
- Spray foam also has the ability to prevent moisture.
- Spray foam has a lifespan of 20 + years and the best part is that it is eco-friendly. It is possible to reduce the carbon footprint with spray foam.
In this example, it is possible to improve the EPC rating by using the spray foam.